New intel on Boston's Lockdown!

Tubbster

Tubbster ( Face )

score: 341

edited July 2014

So according to the german In-Game News-Feed "Novapuls" (which is content from Pegasus, the official german partner for Catalyst's SR-PnP products), we have new intel on the situation in Boston!

Date of Lockdown: 5th of June, 2076
Name of Dragon who is involved: Damon (citizen of Boston)
Death Toll so far: about 115 (meta-)humans

• RC

RC ( Administrator )

score: 78

edited July 2014

OoOooO Damon? Now that triggers a number of interesting scenarios...especially if Damon finally broke that one cardinal rule the Dragons consider to be a threat and a huge no-no, for which Damon's personal proclivities tend to point to. Likewise, something the Humanists might not like either. Hmm.

Thanks for the intel, Chummer! Very intriguing. ^_^

• Sangius

Sangius ( Administrator )

score: 52

... or ... that's just corporate propaganda ;)

• Tubbster

Tubbster ( Face )

edited July 2014

According to the report, which is based on a news-informant, Damon balked the conspirative plans of the Human Nation which tried to secretly set up a mass production of the Virus in a MIT&T Lab. During that act, Damon suffered from the Virus and tried to seek protection by the NeoNET Towers. But security forces attacked him and he fell down, crashing into the Baseball Stadium, where the Red Sox played against Detroit. Damon recovered from the Crash, headed and vanished to the north. During the whole maneuver, he seemed to spread the virus (accidently...?).

• Sangius

Thanks a ton for translating, that's a great service to the community. :)

• Crunch

Crunch ( Face )

score: 55

Oh that's good stuff! Awesome find, and thanks for the translation, @Tubbster!

They probably kidnapped him in his human form and intentionally exposed him. From what I've read of him, he's pretty... amoral... no, not exactly the right word... I think if it was to save his butt he wouldn't give a damn how many people got infected. Sounds like he woke up/got enough willpower to shape shift back into dragon and got the hell out of there... contagion and anyone else be damned.

Of course, this isn't the first time someone infected a dragon with something to 'fix' things. coughcoughdragonfallcoughcough

Crunch~

• Sangius

So we're really going with the Dragon being Damon?

• Tubbster

Tubbster ( Face )

This also means, Damon seems to be still on the loose, sooner or later - if not already - knowing to be a living weapon of mass destruction...

• Citizen Joe

Citizen Joe ( Member )

score: 6

When he transformed into a dragon, there are a whole lot of powers he picked up that could shed the virus. There is a good chance that the sparkly stuff was the shedding of the virus from his system (magically), which had the inadvertent effect of contaminating the city. Since the virus underwent the same transformation, it may have picked up some dragon traits, like maybe some form of regeneration. So if you were infected and at some point killed on a mission, you would reappear someplace else, someplace designated safe, maybe like a mananode or something... Or maybe there are some astral rifts and when you die, you become astral and have to travel back to the rift and exit there to generate a new body.

In fact, maybe the DamonVirus cracks open a small gateway to the metaplanes as well, upon death. This would prevent death ganking by magicians hanging out in the astral plane expecting people to die and become astral. The metaplane transit back to the DamonRift could even be a minigame in itself where it dictates what the death tax is for your character. And given the hedonistic lifestyle of Damon, it could be a little R rated.

Of course, you could also hang out with your body in hopes that the other players can heal you. The benefit there is that you get to keep your mundane stuff. Which leads to another means of cash generation for the publishers. In theory, if something is magically bonded to you, it can be taken with you through astral space. As an example, a weapon focus can come with you if you go astral. So if there was a market where you could pay some NPC in 'soul points' (i.e. real money), you could get some items bonded to you astrally so when you undergo the transit back to the rift, you come out with some gear. The In Game way of doing that is to just keep a locker with a go-bag just in case you get geeked.

This even solves the Subscription vs. Free to Play issue. If you're a subscriber, then you're 'infected' and thus can take advantage of the respawning mechanic. If you're Free to Play, your only hope is that someone revives you in game.. or die and make a new character. Since you haven't paid any money, you don't have the right to complain about the mechanics.

In general, this would mean that the 'death tax' is that you lose the gear you take in. Basically, you're gambling gear that you'll be successful. You can bring in the best stuff and have a better chance of succeeding, or you could just bring in the cheap stuff that is easily replaceable if you die. Some of that can be mitigated if the rest of the team takes your body back, but that will hinder them for the rest of the mission.

The metaplane gate thing could also be a means of getting from city to city. The assumption is that Damon has these rifts in various cities and when you go back to respawn, you could choose a different locale. As new cities unlock, they become available.

• Crunch

Crunch ( Face )

That's interesting, but a little too close to WoW from what I've heard about how they handle death. Plus, I think the infected turn into raving lunatics. However, I agree that it's likely Daemon probably just shed the sickness when he became a dragon again (possibly) which is why the outbreak is limited to the Boston area. The answer to that is probably more between Pegasus and Catalyst (more Pegasus I would think), rather than Cliffhanger. Though I'm really interested in seeing what kind of impact all this has in the tabletop storyline as well.

The other issue with this is that if you lose all your gear and fail the run, not only are you possibly out the gear you need to complete the run successfully, you take a double whammy of not getting paid for the run to replace the gear. That could spiral quickly even if you have some backup gear, particularly with some of the difficulties they're setting now (insta-kill poison gas in one of the dailies, for example).

I am indeed interesting in seeing how they're going to handle death/unconscious runners. I know we talked a lot about DocWagon and premiums and stuff back in the day, but nothing official's been announced... guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Crunch~

• Citizen Joe

Citizen Joe ( Member )

Raving lunatics, eh? So you're saying it turns people into your typical shadowrunner? :)

It was intended to be pretty much a WoW knockoff. But if you don't have permadeath you need a respawn mechanic. There is no existing respawn mechanic for actual death.

Death is supposed to be painful in Shadowrun. I want it painful because the events in SRO are supposed to affect the table top game. If somebody is going to affect my game, I want them to have skin in the game. They need to work really hard to change things. Respawn and try again should not be a viable alternative.

I don't think gear loss is going to be as big a deal as you're making it out to be. Undoubtedly there will be guilds and guildmates are very likely to fork out some starting gear if you're really in bad shape. There will likely be starter missions where you don't need gear and pay enough that you can get some. Losing your milspec power armor and man portable rocket system should be a pain to replace. Replacing an armored jacket and a pistol should be pretty easy.

• Tubbster

Tubbster ( Face )

Quote from Citizen Joe:

Raving lunatics, eh? So you're saying it turns people into your typical shadowrunner? :)

Lol

It was intended to be pretty much a WoW knockoff. But if you don't have permadeath you need a respawn mechanic. There is no existing respawn mechanic for actual death.

Death is supposed to be painful in Shadowrun. I want it painful because the events in SRO are supposed to affect the table top game. If somebody is going to affect my game, I want them to have skin in the game. They need to work really hard to change things. Respawn and try again should not be a viable alternative.

Word

• Citizen Joe

Citizen Joe ( Member )

If the infection makes you essentially immortal (i.e. you just respawn minus gear) that can have a nasty effect on order in a city. Suddenly, the threat of death is more of a threat of minor inconvenience. Or for some people that live close to the gateway, a fast way home after work. "Welp, five o clock. I'm out." steps out of a window on the 40th floor

• Crunch

Crunch ( Face )

Oh I wasn't suggesting respawn at the beginning of the map without penalties. You should know better than that. I was thinking DocWagon extractions that dump you back in the social hub with a stack of debt to pay off for services rendered. Losing gear? Possibly. My only concern about that is the above mentioned spiral. I understand and agree that for the ability to change the tabletop there should be special risk involved there, but I doubt all of our actions will.

All I'm saying is that if it hurts too much, then changes won't happen because players won't play it.

Also, part of my dislike of the idea was from having had some friends try and sell me on the Elder Scrolls MMO, that whole "you're special, which is why you don't die" mechanic just seems silly to me, because then everyone's special... and when everyone's special, nobody is. Also, I'm not fond of the idea of forcing player's characters into a weird lore McGuffin because it may not fit their personal head-canon history for the character they want to make.

On the other hand, I could see it work if you have a Magic Attribute at a certain point, maybe that's how they can add an 'Astral' Element to the game for them... but to a character skating on the edge of being a cyber-zombie to fit just one more piece of hardware in them... I'm not buying it.

Anyway, we're kind of derailing the topic, sorry about that :)

Crunch~

• Citizen Joe

Citizen Joe ( Member )

High essence could mean that you can hang around longer without taking the gateway. Near zero essence means you need to go immediately or be permadead.

Tempo and I think there is another drug that forces you into the astral already exist. It isn't that much of a stretch to make it a virus. Regeneration exists. Gateways and rifts exist that allow spirits to become physical. Dragons have been known to pass on traits (immortal elves). This is actually less canonically breaching than technomancers.

The idea that you're immortal and NOT special just adds to the chaos. Death is no longer a threat, just loss of gear. This applies to the runners but also the gangers and cops.

Maybe there are some people that are not infected, like FtP players and unique NPCs, but there's a great population of those that will simply respawn if killed.

The big complaint against permadeath was spending real money on your character and then somebody ganging him. In this situation, the subscriber respawns but the guy without any investment dies.

The FtP player can still get by if they bank their gear. If they sock away savings and then the newly created character can go to the "bank" and withdraw stuff.

There always needs to be that "rats in the basement" quest which doesn't pose a risk but gets you enough gear to get rolling again. It could be donate blood, test a new product, turn tricks on the corner or even grovel before the mafia don. The point is that there is a bottom of the spiral. You can crawl back out of the gutter.

• Crunch

Crunch ( Face )

And a follow-up of sorts on this, as I said in my 'report' from GenCon

Cliffhanger and Catalyst are very tight with each other in the lore and how it will play into both games. They are working very closely together on the lore surrounding Boston and Shadowrun in general. While this is important for that whole 'bringing down the Megacorp' aspect of it, there's all sorts of things in play that I'll admit I'm not privy to; though I will say this. Catalyst and Cliffhanger both are working their schedules for release of certain things/events/expansions in tandem with each other as the stories from both companies progress. Having heard that, it appears Boston may have a bigger impact on the world at large (or is a symptom of something much bigger that us tabletop players don't completely know yet). Needless to say, it'll be an exciting ride for tabletop and online players alike!

I also noticed when they were discussing it, there were a lot of sneaky smiles shared between Tom and Scott :D

Crunch~