1.1.0: Hit Points Bugs: 2 problems

PrDetective

PrDetective ( Member )

score: 10

edited October 2013

I have an UCG with the default character.

After patching to 1.1.0, default character doesn't load. After some digging I found the source of the problem: SRR thinks that the character is dead on the start.

In my character sheet there are strings: stats { ... body: 3 hp: 0 ... }

Editor saved in that format before and it worked, but, starting from the 1.1.0 it seems, that hp should be actual value (hp: 30). This is the PROBLEM 1: having 1.1.0, the player can't play my UCG without me to release a new version.

Okay, I re-created the character sheet, and faced another problem. PROBLEM 2: Editor doesn't save hp to the file!

Example: I open any character sheet, e.g. we have body = 6, hp = 60. I modify body to 3 (hp is auto-modified to 30, but the red arrow doesn't appear right to the hp field). Then I save the character sheet. And the contents of the file will be:

stats { ... body: 3 hp: 60 ... }

I think the editor just thinks that the hp field didn't change and saves only the body, which is incorrect.

Finally, I was able to make it work only by fixing the text file in the text editor.

• Das Kindt ( Member EAB )

score: 1

Is your character a Troll by any chance?

I reported some weird bugs involving Troll Hit Point totals at the start of the beta. Trolls were getting extra Hit Points when created and then getting additional Hit Points every time they were imported to a new UGC.

I haven't checked since it went live to see if it's still happening.

• PrDetective

PrDetective ( Member )

No, character is a human.

• BeefCake ( Member )

edited October 2013

So yeah I was in the middle of working on my UGC when the patch came out, right when I published an update locally causing some errors.

Anyway, when I finally got the test scene working again all the Matrix IC NPCs have immensely increased health pools. Nothing changed on the character sheet and I was using stock level 5 IC sheets. But instead of say 175 HP, and normal white IC would now have 400 to 450 health.

All the character sheets (stock) have added health, like +155 or something similar for a 'total' of 175. When I removed that +155 (made it +0, so the sheet showed 20 health only due to 2 body) they went sort of back to normal...175 total health for level IC normal IC, but sparkies and sentries seemed to be a little soft and needed an HP boost again.

This persisted through a full system reboot and republish. So I don't know if I just buggered the one scene or not, but I thought that was super odd, sort of like the magic extra troll health Das Kindt speaks of and made me give up for the night. Kind of hard to balance a Matrix scene when all of a sudden everything has like double the health it had the last play through.

EDIT: Ok, something is seriously wrong. Every IC in every level in my UGC now has higher health then expected. The new base IC template no longer has bonus health added so this throws all the existing ones already in the scenes completely out of whack. If you drag a new pre-made IC Spawner out of the asset library it's fine, if you had done that before 1.10, it's not (at least in my UGC)

All hires have 10 health and black health bars. They have whatever body (5, 6, whatever) visible on the character sheet. They show as body*10 HP on the character sheet in the editor. In game, they have black health bars and 10 health only. Has anyone else seen stuff like this since 1.10 hit or is it just my UGC that got hosed (since I was in the middle of publishing my UGC locally when the patch hit and restarted the SRR editor during processing it's entirely possible I guess).

• BeefCake ( Member )

Ok, the patch definitely messed up character templates.

Custom templates in my UGC...they were apparently automatically changed to include new functionality, like vulnerabilities. However, this update also hardcoded EVERY sheet to have 10 HP, ignoring Body setting.

I can also confirm that IC health is different between the templates in 1.04 and now in 1.10...these are the ones that are default from DMS, not custom. The new health is hardcoded into the character sheet now, but the old way had extra health added. Now any templates you have already used reference the new base health, AND add the extra health the old templates added.

Going through literally several hundred actors at this point and manually editing text files or actors in the editor is going to be a royal pain.

• Das Kindt ( Member EAB )

score: 1

It's a bit depressing that HBS didn't even acknowledge that there might be issues to investigate with Hit Points about this during the Beta.

I sent a couple BUG reports to HBS, as indicated in the beta thread, and never even got an acknowledgement that the emails were received. There was no response or comment on the BUG report I made in the tech forums either.

My report made it clear that something was wrong in 1.1.0 with how Hit Points were being handled, but it seems apparent now that the issues are far wider spread than just impacting Trolls as my limited experimenting seemed to indicate.

• BeefCake ( Member )

edited October 2013

Setting the HP value in the character sheet seems to work, but the health for cyberware is not given by default...when the character spawns immediately after being hired they will have whatever value you put in the sheet. And then can be healed to reach the health granted by cyberware or other means.

For example, an Ork with body 6 was manually set to have 60 HP (from a value I found of 10 in the character sheet) and he spawned with 60. But he should have 64 thanks to cyberware...I was immediately (right at scene start) able to pop a health pack and gain the 4 health to get to a total of 64, which is where it should have started the scene at.

Setting HP to 0 in the ch.txt file does exactly that, you start with 0 health and cannot be healed (beyond whatever cyberware adds to health, so in this example my guy went from 0 health to 4 health).

Basically it ignores body totally and doesn't deal with item bonus properly. Cyberware that adds +1 body shows the increase in the in-game character sheet on the body stat but HP does not change, and you cannot 'heal' the 10 health you should get. Body is simply not used at all for HP calculation.

• Drako ( Member )

I believe I'm having the same problem.

I'm not sure but I also think it is happening more often with the latest 1.1.1, 1st and 2nd release of the beta patch.

Also it is definitely affecting trolls more, as Das Kindt has experienced.

I'm getting some Really weird max HPs and HPs for new NPCs being generated. Stuff like new NPCs having 0 hitpoints on creation, and I can't figure out why. Some NPCs will have like -35 / 100 hitpoints when being created. Another will have 325/ 100 hps.

I'm just reading this thread for the first time and a lot of it is riniging true, I have the same troubles as Beefcake ^^^ above. I thought it was just my UGC but it looks like it must be some sort of bug.

I'm putting a lot of HP = body * 10 in my UGC now , but even still , the max HPs are messing up so when the runners heal they often have no max HP limit, they just keep on healing, and sometimes die spontaneously when new maps are loaded. But strangely this only affects some runners -- which seems to be some sort of caching / or not saving updated HP problem with the character sheets.

• taltamir

taltamir ( Member )

edited December 2013

On a variety of UGC, v1.1 update caused some NPCs to now have 0HP health, they die instantly. Not a big deal if they are hostile, but fairly problematic if they are in your party

Also, a player troll has an undocumented +60HP bonus

• Jeff HBS

Jeff HBS ( Administrator HBS Dev )

Hello everyone,

I have been able to partially reproduce this issue. I have found that Custom Class Trolls start with 20 more HP then their Body stat, and will gain an additional 10 HP when they are being imported, going through a scene transition. They will also gain 30 HP when entering a level that heals runners on level load. If this does not match what you are experiencing then please leave a response describing the issue you are experiencing with more information.

I have not been able to reproduce the issues you are describing with IC or AI spawning with incorrect health. If you can provide examples of where you are encountering these issues, with the steps that you are taking to reproduce this that would help but this issue to rest.

• taltamir

taltamir ( Member )

edited December 2013

From the Shadows, Run Act II Part 1 http://shadowrunreturns.nexusmods.com/mods/116/? v2.04 released 4:06, 2 September 2013 Savefile: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5cEvOA-L4zcLXpyT3ZPSzFwWUU/edit?usp=sharing Just load up the savefile and you will see that one of your allies have 0/0 HP (for that matter, HP display on character sheet should show what the max AND what the current is instead of just the current) Anyways, the ally in question has 5 body, and cannot be healed. If he is killed by an enemy in battle, using doc wagon on him does not raise him above 0HP. Note that you can just start a new game with a new character (instead of importing one from the previous UGC) and it takes literally 1 minute to get to the point in my save and it will have the same result.

Razor edge module http://www.nexusmods.com/shadowrunreturns/mods/163/ v1.3 released 22:38, 1 October 2013. Savefile: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5cEvOA-L4zcUUxCRy1Rd2hGaTA/edit?usp=sharing Returning after first mission causes a 0HP ally called "new actor" to spawn near me, naked, and follow me around. I know he has 0HP because his HP bar is red. I am told this wasn't the case when the module was first created and was broken by v1.1 patch to the game.

Brother's Till the end http://www.nexusmods.com/shadowrunreturns/mods/211/? The latest version is from 15:18, 13 December 2013 Bug originally occured with an older version, I have rewinded my save to where it occurs and tested with the latest version and there is still that ghoul with 0HP. I don't know if that was just the save importing the bug or whether its still there in the base module. The map in question has a 0HP ghoul enemy. Verified by both the red colored hp bar and the by hovering over him with the biology skill that lets you know an enemy's exact HP Save file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5cEvOA-L4zcZWx0ZDhhcWlHbDg/edit?usp=sharing

• taltamir

taltamir ( Member )

According to a post on http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/discussion/34771/1-1-0-bug-trolls-have-bonus-hit-points#Item_7

the fix in 1.1.1 only works for troll player characters who are created using a preset, not those who make a custom character

Also, have you had a chance to look at some of the examples in the previous post of the 0HP bug?

• BeefCake ( Member )

edited December 2013

I have the 0 HP bug (actually 10 HP bug) in my UGC. ANY new character stat sheets I create always have to be manually edited afterwards to properly set HP. Since 1.10 at least. So I can replicate it at will basically.

Start with base actor spawner (the 1 in all stat civilian sheet).

Edit it normally, increase body to whatever number is needed. Save the character sheet. It is not necessary to create a template with this character sheet, but templates using a manually built character sheet will have the problem as well.

Now just drop an actor spawner on a new scene and then change it to the character sheet you built above (after refreshing the content pack).

Test new scene. Actor will always have 10 HP in my UGC.

Note if you just drop an actor spawner and edit it directly, without saving the character sheet or using a pre-saved character sheet as a base other than default civilian that every normal actor spawner starts at, it's fine. I mean the basic green polygon actor spawner, not a preset IC or Lonestar or whatever actor object. Tweak it directly and the HP value is all good in the scene. Use a pre-saved manually built character sheet on the actor and it's not.

Manually editing the Ch.txt file to set HP to an arbitrary amount works fine. Note that inside notepad the Ch.txt file will show the right body but the HP will always be at 10 so I just change that entry to 10xBody and call it a day.

Obviously this manifests itself with a hireable runner as they always use templates (when you aren't using trigger driven hiring...I'm referring to using the Scene-based hiring screen).

• taltamir

taltamir ( Member )

edited December 2013

GOG v1.1.1 was released. I tested the module "from the shadows, run act II part 1" and problem still persists.

Quote from BeefCake:

Manually editing the Ch.txt file to set HP to an arbitrary amount works fine. Note that inside notepad the Ch.txt file will show the right body but the HP will always be at 10 so I just change that entry to 10xBody and call it a day.

I think this is the problem, having an HP value override is asking for trouble. The game should store the following values:
    1. Body - customizable
    2. Current injury - customizable
    3. Racial bonus - automatically set, but the races could be customized with a bonus (or a custom race such as "vampire" could be made)
    4. Implant bonus/penalty - automatically calculated with no user input (although the user can select what cyber is installed)
    5. Custom modifier value - customizable
    More could be added as needed, the key is to not have a "MaxHP" value causes a race condition bug

The current max HP should then be calculated as: CMHP = Body*10 + RacialBonus + InplantBonus + CustomModifier
    While the current HP should be calculated on the fly as: CMHP - CurrentInjury

This will prevent accidents and will also allow fixes to propagate better.

Conversion from the current model can be made painless by comparing the current ch.txt file HP to the calculated version. If the same then just alter it automatically to the new system. If it differs then convert it to a custom modifier value, and then popup a dialog explaining the issue and showing a list of actors with this with option to keep the custom modifier or discard it.

• Utnapishtim

Utnapishtim ( Member )

1.1.2 HBS's Dead Man's Switch.

Rewinded an old save with my ork street sam, here's what I get:

1. On map start (Union : just before the Telestrian office run)
      • Body: 5
      • Equipment: armor bunny (+5HP), cyberleg (+8 HP)

Displayed HP: 63. correct !

1. Installing a basic cyberarm (Union : just before the Telestrian office run)
      • Equipment: armor bunny (+5HP), cyberleg (+8 HP), cyberarm (+5 HP)

Displayed HP: 73. Wrong !

1. Telestrian office run
      • Equipment: armor bunny (+5HP), cyberleg (+8 HP), cyberarm (+5 HP)

Displayed HP: 101. Insanely wrong !

Just checked this because there is a similar problem on someone's else UGC.

Guess we have a problem ...

• BeefCake ( Member )

An observation from one of my UGCs subscribers (Skullivan off of steam):

"I found a way to fix it in game, not sure of this will help you solve it but if I use a medpack after getting hit then it sets my hp to correct level. Thing is I have to use it IN combat becaue once combact ends the game thinks im at full health."

Has this only occured with main characters, or party members too? I actually have not seen this myself, but I've been only working on my UGC the last few weeks, and just a scene or two at a time.

• Amber_Marie ( Member )

I've noticed another bug involving IC HP. I was watching some Matrix gameplay and noticed that the IC I fight in the same section have significantly more HP than the ones in the footage. Specifically it was the matrix section during the Coyote's Crusade mission, in the gameplay footage the two IC had 100 HP, where as when I fought them they had 180. I went into the editor to see why this was and noticed they had 100 HP, but it was increased from 20 since their character sheets have 2 body, so they had 100 HP but in game were also getting the +80. This seems to affect all IC, giving some of the later ones a ridiculous 300-350 HP.

• BeefCake ( Member )

I had the same thing happen in mu UGC after 1.10. Not sure what I did but it was a problem with templates. I ended up going through every single IC and changed them back to 20 Hp on their sheets.

• Amber_Marie ( Member )

So it's a known bug at least, that's good. I did go through each one of the ones in story mode and set them to what they should be, but I was more worried about the UGCs as I wasn't able to edit them so I was still dealing with super IC.

• Graym

Graym ( Member )

Good to find this thread! I did From The Shadows, Run, and Act 1 was absolutely decimated by that bug. I'm not a super-technical person, so going through the notepad file did not occur to me for hp. The flips and duck tape I had to apply to get it right took way too long. As of 1.2.5, I STILL get bugs with the hit points, starting with a new UGC, post Dragonfall. You'd think hit points being set at what they should be would rank up on the list pretty high.

• Drako ( Member )

edited December 2014

Sigh! About a year later from when I last posted in this thread with this bug and still now a having this one causing issues for me. If i edit a character, and save the character sheet, the character gets saved with 0 HP. Manually editing the TXT files is the only way around this that I've found.

And I still have one character, RC4, which always has over 200HP. This one is weird, I think its because his karma is too high or something, I don't know, but his HP is always wacky, and I even tried making triggers on each level to set his HP to a standard amount but that doesn't work.