Shadowlab #1: The Price of Conviction

• Jeff HBS

Jeff HBS (Administrator)

score: 0

Hello everybody!

Its that time again, now that Let's Play #3 is live, I would like to ask you what the next Let's Play should be.

We'd also like to get some feedback on a new idea we have.

In addition to doing a traditional Let's Play where Mitch and Jordan would play through the UGC, we're considering a review/critique opportunity where they would play a scene or a level and then give feedback on what they would do to improve the story, design, fun level etc. much like they would for one of our designers. Since not everyone may appreciate that, we would require that GMs nominate their own work for this video. Before we go down this road, though, we'd like to get some feedback on whether you all think this is a good idea. Let us know.

~~~~~~~~~~EDIT~~~~~~~~~~

The next video from Harbrained Schemes will be a Critique video of The Price of Conviction: Coyote's Crusade! Congradulations Avenzi!

Make sure to check it out here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=178906135

• Das Kindt (Member)

score: 1

I think a critique would be awesome. They already spend some time commenting on features they like and find surprising. I'd find it useful as a UGC builder to hear what they are critical of in a UGC.

You're talking two separate videos, yes?

• Masque

Masque (Member)

score: 3

I think The Price of Conviction could stand up to it and I'd love the feedback as I learned a lot while doing it. Since I've been held up due to life stuff and have not been able to make any significant headway lately it would certainly help to hear what works and what doesn't from Jordan and Mitch. I'm in!

• Jeff HBS

Jeff HBS (Administrator)

Yes, they would be two different things.

The Let's Play would remain the same. The critique would be less about them playing and enjoying the level and more about looking at it with a critical eye. We'd probably come up with another name for it, too, since it won't really be a Let's Play.

It's likely that if we get a good response to the critiques, we'll have to determine if Mitch and Jordan have time to do both. At that point, we may call in some other members of the team to share their advice and support for making better UGC.

• Kanada10

Kanada10 (Member)

100% Approve of Critique... I even have a name suggestion. Shadowrun Returns: Shadowlab

• BeefCake (Member)

Yes. It'd be interesting to see what the developers say about UGCs. I'd submit my own for that one but I doubt you guys have the time to play something with 6+ hours of content.

• Willsama (Member)

Great idea to have some critique. I'm also backing Kanada10's idea of naming it Shadowlab.

• zel (Member)

I'd like to nominate "Antumbra", and its sequel - "Eclipse", both made by Cirion.

I am surprised it hasn't been nominated for the previous Let's Play.

It is easily the most refined and best-written UCG on Steam. Perhaps with the exception of "Lone Star: Double Indemnity" - which seems to have been abandoned by its creator.

"Antumbra" should take an hour or two at most, and provides a well-written story that has a good climactic ending.

I am not certain if Cirion would agree to the critique idea, but I think some constructive criticism from the game designers would be welcome.

• CRC

CRC (Member)

Agree with this, sure HBS would handle the project with respect, I think constructive criticism is valuable, & agree with the name Shadowrun Returns: Shadowlab.

• potatocubed

potatocubed (Member)

Nominating myself again: Never Trust an Elf, Part 1.

I wouldn't mind getting some criticism of my module(s) either.

• I_Cleared_You (Member)

I need a team!!!

• Archsorcerer

Archsorcerer (Member)

Echo please.

• hinsn (Member)

kill-city:detroit

• Jeff HBS

Jeff HBS (Administrator)

In case you missed the edit above...

The next video from Harbrained Schemes will be a Critique video of The Price of Conviction: Coyote's Crusade! Congradulations Avenzi!

Make sure to check it out here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=178906135

• McDougle

McDougle (Face)

score: 5770

Brilliant idea, but you'll need GM's with serious ballz. :D

• Masque

Masque (Member)

The current HBS ready build is now uploaded on steam as version 1.8! I apologize for some hasty fixes that caused a few things to break. Should be cleaner then ever now! Thanks for your help, Jeff!

• Robin HBS

Robin HBS (Administrator)

The Shadowlab is now live!

Thanks so much, Masque - Jordan and Mitch really enjoyed themselves. Have a great weekend!

• RC

RC (Administrator)

score: 78

I really enjoyed this Shadowlab let's play, and the UGC looks awesome! Can't wait to dive in to it! ^_^

• Masque

Masque (Member)

Strangest thing, I've never seen the gatekeeper run away like that. That makes me sad :p Every play through (some 30 or so) he stood his ground and was probably one of the more difficult opponents in the game.

Edit: Finished watching her, some great feedback and it was a unique opportunity to see it being played by someone who isn't ME. Nevermind Jordan and Mitch which is a bloody dream come true. Glad you guys enjoyed it and glad you liked what I did with your characters. Haha, really wish I could have seen his reaction to Dill though. I think they'd of liked him.

What a great opportunity and honour, I couldn't be happier and will be taking their ideas and observations forth into the next story! (so on a creative high right now!)