Editor for .bytes files in content packs and saved games

• DigitalPigeon (Member)

score: 0

This tool will let you

• - directly edit compiled content packs, like the core DMS campaign, or other UGC in "compiled" mode.
    • - edit and alter your save games.
    • - export compiled content packs (like the core DMS campaign or Seattle pack) into .txt files for your own UGC

Here I mumbled for a few minutes about how to use the tool, and then a few more minutes about some of the other features. http://youtu.be/Ox2Db4DpxeE

Here I mumble some more about editing saved game files http://youtu.be/qNQiV0a539A

Here you can download the tool. As per the video and the readme, you need to copy a couple files into the same folder as the tool for it to work. Please read the readme. (current version 0.3.1, August 8th) https://www.dropbox.com/s/lejrpvvi9a94wh1/srr_binary_editor.zip

Really hoping for all kinds of feedback if this is useful, or if there are ways to make it useful.

• Zoolimar (Member)

Thank you. All works except for adding strings.

I can change range on weapons but can't add new prereqs or abilities to an entry.

P.S. Need also to find out why I can't make shotgun to do 4 attacks in one shot but that's not an editor problem cause all other changes work as intended.

• BallPtPenTheif

BallPtPenTheif (Member)

amazing work. not something i would dig into but i imagine that somebody could recreate the sourcebook content with this tool

• Zoolimar (Member)

About shotguns: it seems that number of attacks is tied to 'fx' of the attack instead of 'repetition'. That's odd.

• McDougle

McDougle (Face)

score: 5770

Nice. :D

Is this the version you originally posted on the freenet #SRR-modding IRC?

For the future it´d also be grand to 1. see the Icon a particular Item/Power etc. uses (should be in UIrep) and to be able to export and import/change that.

• Murphy01

Murphy01 (Member)

@Zoolimar its tied to the animations

• Zoolimar (Member)

And that's a damn shame.

I tried to make shotguns that shoot buckshots as they are portrayed with their animations - 7 damage 4 times. That would be great if combined with damage reduction on armour because shotguns will become really good against unarmored targets but will struggle even against DR 5.

Maximum is 2 attacks for shotgun.

• DigitalPigeon (Member)

Thanks for the feedback all. Version 0.2.0 ready to go

Release Notes [0.2.0]

• -Added ability to open and edit SRR .sav files
    • -String collections are now editable (using a dedicated string.collection editor for them)
    • -Help config and backup location display options now open explorer to the specified locations
    • -Added about box to view version number

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lejrpvvi9a94wh1/srr_binary_editor.zip

Did a quick video showing how to mess with save files http://youtu.be/qNQiV0a539A

Feedback welcome please!

• DarknessMuta

DarknessMuta (Member)

Thanks for getting this update out so quick. The only thing I didn't see in the save editor video or cannot seem to find is if it's possible to change any of the choices you made for the actual look of the character during character creation like skin color, hair, etc or if we can model swap at all and make our character look like Cherry Bomb or one of the random npcs.

I did notice one of the stats being off for my end game character with a body stat of 9, the stat in the editor only says 5 so some of those stats must be calculated a little differently. Still it's nice to be able to tweak stuff.

• DkJehovah (Member)

Do you have any cybernetics or item that buff your Body Darknessmuta? If so, that might be it.. maybe the editor only show base stat more then current stat.

• Sardaukar

Sardaukar (Member)

Very nice work.

• DarknessMuta

DarknessMuta (Member)

Quote from DkJehovah:

Do you have any cybernetics or item that buff your Body Darknessmuta? If so, that might be it.. maybe the editor only show base stat more then current stat.

I was a female Elf Street Samurai with no cyber parts at the end of the game, I had the best outfit, but that one is just the 10 armor.

• Zoolimar (Member)

I did notice one of the stats being off for my end game character with a body stat of 9, the stat in the editor only says 5 so some of those stats must be >calculated a little differently. Still it's nice to be able to tweak stuff.

Check templates you will see that Attribute 1 is written as -3 and Attribute 4 is written as 0 in TXT files.

• DigitalPigeon (Member)

Version 0.3.0 is out

Release Notes [0.3.0]

• - Added export to proto text format
    • - Fixed default mapping for mlib.bytes

Note that I had to write the protobuf to text serializer myself, so while I tested it on a bunch of different types and it seems to work, you'll want to double check a few of them for yourself. Also, if the serializer runs into big problems and throws an exception, you should get a stack trace in your text editor that you can send back to me so I can look into what caused the problem.

Under options, you can set the deserializer to either simple mode (Default) or verbose. In simple mode, any values that are empty or null will not be included in the export. Switch to verbose mode to include all that empty data.

As always, really appreciate any feedback.

• Sardaukar

Sardaukar (Member)

Only feedback I guess I have is that it would be handy if the sub-file you have open like, say, Obvious Cyberarm, shows in the window so you can see what you are working on as you do it and don't get confused between Obvious Cyberarm and 2, for example.

Be good if it temp-saved everything as you went and asked you if you want to save your changes before you quit the program. Kind of blanked and forgot to do that as I quit out to eagerly test my new toys.

Oh, yeah, and remembering where my folder locations are so I don't have to chase them down whenever I start again. That'd be nice.

• DigitalPigeon (Member)

Thanks Sardaukar... I'll add some option "remind me to save" setting. As well as a clear indicator of what you are editing. As far as remembering folders, it should do that already is as much as it should remember the last folder you were working in, even between executions of the program.

• Nuts (Member)

Do you have any information on how the prereqStrings are put together? Or better said would a 'scene.[Something].[Something]' or 'story.[Something].[Something]' also possible?

To the feedback, it would be nice if we had some integrated information on what some fields do (the ones we know quite well about). And overall nice editor so far :)

• tracker

tracker (Member)

For prereqStrings you can put in these:

Flags: http://pastie.org/private/g9n0arkvghdhydesqvj3tg

Abilities: http://pastie.org/private/tcxjgwbn7nk5463echlecw

Skills: http://pastie.org/8210918

The prereqStrings that actually get used in the SRR DMS item/ability/mode files:

prereqStrings: "Player.FLAG.HAS_DATAJACK == 1" //(usually for smartlink)

prereqStrings: "Player.SKILL.Skill_RangedCombat >= 1" //(can't equip item or use ability unless true)

prereqStrings: "Item.FLAG.WEAPON_CUR_AMMO > 1" //(in ability files to make sure the player has ammo)

prereqStrings: "Item.CORE_SPECIALIZATION > 5" //(The item's associated specialization)

You cannot, as far as I know, use scene or story variables in these files.

• crusher_bob (Member)

It's also worth looking at how killing hands is implemented.

Using the killing hands spell (killing hands.item) gives you the condition "Condition_KillingHands". The unarmed combat mode checks that you don't have the "Condition_KillingHands" and the killing hands combat mode checks if you do have "Condition_KillingHands". That's why your regular unarmed attacks go away when you have killing hands active.

But if it's possible to add arbitrary conditions in this way, then you should be able to implement some interesting things. For example, you could make a 'berserk' condition and then modify all the shooting modes files so that you can't shoot while under this condition.

• tracker

tracker (Member)

I don't think it is possible to add custom conditions, I have a list of those, too: http://pastie.org/8210916

Edit: Just a note that the above list is missing a few conditions that repeat, like the other covers and docwagons

• gevrik

gevrik (Member)

A kingdom for an OSX version. :D

• Nuts (Member)

Thanks Tracker. Before reading your list i went through the abilities myself and also found conditions: Condition_MatrixCharge1 and 2 But real thanks for that list :)

As a sidenote, i just played around with the conditions, it seems as if some conditions are allways loaded onto the player. E.G. i tested per trigger if the player had condition_autododge, and it allways turned true. Also seems to hold for Condition_MatrixCharge1 & 2

@Crusher_Bob Something like that was also basically my idea when i stumpled upon the condition of MatrixCharge... Saddly didn't work out so far.

• Marduc (Member)

Here are lists of possible icon strings, scatcking categories, Sorting groups, outfit_textures, gear_prefabs, gear_bundles, fxScripts and FxName used in the item files. : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x507etpa0bul8nj/yzNdUN2vVk

• tracker

tracker (Member)

@DigitalPigeon I used your editor a bunch, to export bytes files to txt.

Some notes:

scene_hiring_prerequisites: {

This section in scene files requires an empty description entry like this: prereq_description: ""

Bools needs to be all lower-case, True -> true, False -> false

Multi-line strings pop up a bunch of errors. This happens a lot in the text: and responseText: fields in conversations or scene descriptions.

Quotes (and maybe apostraphes) in strings pop up errors (missing escape character?)

Epilogues aren't recognized. They are just text files, I think.

Edit: Nice lists, Marduc.

• apriest8781 (Member)

@DigitalPigeon

I tried using the editor to edit outfits. Exported to .txt and I'm getting errors in the editor when I try to use them. Basically saying certain things are invalid? I'm going to try a simple export and see if that fixes it. After reading one of your above posts.

• apriest8781 (Member)

Hmm Still no love on the outfits... change some of the "Falses" to 0's stopped the errors on loading. But the items still won't show up in a merchant inventory.

• tracker

tracker (Member)

Post the files on pastebin and I'll look at them

• DigitalPigeon (Member)

Sorry guys, I didn't think anyone was still using this... saw all sorts of these editors popping up.

[0.3.1]
    Features
    - Added right click -> export all to "type" branches of trees. This is pretty wiz. :)
    - Added "recent files" to File Menu (so you don't need to remeber where all of your files are stored anymore)
    - Added remeber last loaded and exported locations
    - Added title of active editor item in editor above property grid

Bug Fixes
    - Removed verbose text export option - all non null objects are now always exported in text format
    - Added escaping to special characters in text data (\n, quotes and ) in text export
    - Fixed bools in text export

Now that I have the mass exporter, I was able to test pretty much all of the text formatted proto files I knew how to load into the editor, so I'm much more confident with it now. Hope it works for you guys.

• tracker

tracker (Member)

@DigitalPigeon, I use it pretty often, not for editing files, but for exporting. The export all will be a huge help. Thanks!

• Zoolimar (Member)

Sorry guys, I didn't think anyone was still using this... saw all sorts of these editors popping up.

I think your editor is the best.

• Sardaukar

Sardaukar (Member)

Yep! I use it often!

• Muffintruck (Member)

I use it a great deal.

• apriest8781 (Member)

Nm this was already fixed

• HunterZ (Member)

Thanks for this tool. Scenes stopped loading for me in Life on a Limb UGC because of too many autosaves ( http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/discussion/32169/save-files-containing-a-large-number-of-autosaves-breaks-the-game/p1 ). This tool allowed me to delete some of the saves and get my game working again.

Edit: Maybe I spoke too soon, I'm stuck again :(

• 12o6u3 (Member)

Yes, this is fantastic. Thanks!

• McDougle

McDougle (Face)

score: 5770

I´m currently dying trying to get custom Icons into the game (makes the game crash... because my .tex isn´t exactly the same size as the .tex that was in the .assets before).

If you could include that-> InstaDemiGod. :))

• stonetoes

stonetoes (Member)

HunterZ, the problem isn't just the number of saves it's that the character in those saves have 30MB+ of duplicated entries under current_tags. Apparently some people have had the same problem in Dead Man's Switch and HBS are aware of it.

• rking24 (Member)

Thanks for the video! My game stopped loading in Life on a Limb and tried to install your editor, but I keep getting this error: Problem Event Name: CLR20r3 Problem Signature 01: editor.exe Problem Signature 02: 0.3.1.0 Problem Signature 03: 52042c52 Problem Signature 04: Editor Problem Signature 05: 0.3.1.0 Problem Signature 06: 52042c52 Problem Signature 07: 1 Problem Signature 08: e Problem Signature 09: System.IO.FileNotFoundException OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.48 Any ideas?

• rking24 (Member)

Quote from DigitalPigeon:

This tool will let you

>
    • - directly edit compiled content packs, like the core DMS campaign, or other UGC in "compiled" mode.
    • >
    • - edit and alter your save games.
    • >
    • - export compiled content packs (like the core DMS campaign or Seattle pack) into .txt files for your own UGC
    • >

Here I mumbled for a few minutes about how to use the tool, and then a few more minutes about some of the other features. http://youtu.be/Ox2Db4DpxeE

Here I mumble some more about editing saved game files http://youtu.be/qNQiV0a539A

Here you can download the tool. As per the video and the readme, you need to copy a couple files into the same folder as the tool for it to work. Please read the readme. (current version 0.3.1, August 8th) https://www.dropbox.com/s/lejrpvvi9a94wh1/srr_binary_editor.zip

Really hoping for all kinds of feedback if this is useful, or if there are ways to make it useful.

Thanks for the video! My game stopped loading in Life on a Limb and tried to install your editor, but I keep getting this error: Problem Event Name: CLR20r3 Problem Signature 01: editor.exe Problem Signature 02: 0.3.1.0 Problem Signature 03: 52042c52 Problem Signature 04: Editor Problem Signature 05: 0.3.1.0 Problem Signature 06: 52042c52 Problem Signature 07: 1 Problem Signature 08: e Problem Signature 09: System.IO.FileNotFoundException OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.48 Any ideas?

• Drako (Member)

Wow this looks great. Thanks for making this tool.

I still h ave a lot to learn about the editor, but this tool looks likes it is much easier to some certain things, such as making new weapons and quickly editing other char attributes. Thanks!

Hey can someone tell me where the icon graphics for items are? I can't seem to find them, trying to make a new gun.

• e240

e240 (Member)

Perfect, thanks! Very useful for referencing. Now if someone could understand all the chain system of items and abilities... As far as I understand it's impossible to make one item capable of having both buff and attacking abilities.

• Fritz

Fritz (Member)

Hi, I attempted to use this tool but the Collection Editor button is missing. Any collection entries like statMods are actually greyed out and no button appears. In the video you are able to edit them directly but it's not possible without the button. Does anyone know if it has been removed?

• tracker

tracker (Member)

Quote from e240:

Perfect, thanks! Very useful for referencing. Now if someone could understand all the chain system of items and abilities... As far as I understand it's impossible to make one item capable of having both buff and attacking abilities.

You can have an item that gives you passive buffs (using equippedStatusEffects) and shoots, meaning you can have a sword or gun that grants you +2 Movement while you have it out, or something, but I cannot figure out how to get make a weapon that can both shoot and grant buffs to teammates, or something.

• e240

e240 (Member)

Quote from tracker:

Quote from e240:> You can have an item that gives you passive buffs (using equippedStatusEffects) and shoots, meaning you can have a sword or gun that grants you +2 Movement while you have it out, or something, but I cannot figure out how to get make a weapon that can both shoot and grant buffs to teammates, or something.

That's what I'm talking about, atm I managed a cyberitem to heal and debuff enemy, but when you are targeting - there are no restrictions, ie you can heal enemy and debuff yourself, not very user-friendly, eh?

• Maderas (Member)

This is a neat editor, but I have two questions:

1) Is it possible to recompile a bunch of .pb txt files into one single manifest to combine multiple content packs?

2) When I try exporting the manifest file contents to .txt files, they don't function when I try to use them with the editor. It just spits out isogame.Propdef errors at me. What am I doing wrong?

• littleraskol (Member)

Hey,

This is an awesome tool and I am glad the community is patching some of the odder gaps in HBS's design decisions... Anyway, I have a question about "Stats Conditions." I wanted to create a version of Wired Reflexes where the auto-dodge ability is constant, i.e., does not need to be activated. There is a field in "equippedStatusEffects" for a "statusConditions" collection, but attempting to add anything to the collection returns this error:

"The value '0' is not a valid value for the enum 'StatusCondition'"

This also happens if I try to add a Status Condition to the "normal" Wired Reflexes, under the "activationStatusEffects." I can see the auto-dodge in the collection, but trying to add something else gives this error. I tried adding a Status Condition to something that was never designed with an activation ability (Bone Lacing), and the same error happens.

Anyone know what this is about? Is there any way to add Status Conditions?

• littleraskol (Member)

Wait, never mind, I was not paying enough attention to the thread... Tracker already said that it's not possible. Damn. I remember seeing somewhere that a modder had added an NPC-only version of Wired Reflexes which has auto-dodge on by default because NPCs will not activate cyberware abilities, so I thought it might be possible.

• Kanada10

Kanada10 (Member)

Quote from littleraskol:

Wait, never mind, I was not paying enough attention to the thread... Tracker already said that it's not possible. Damn. I remember seeing somewhere that a modder had added an NPC-only version of Wired Reflexes which has auto-dodge on by default because NPCs will not activate cyberware abilities, so I thought it might be possible.

Not sure if this would work on Cyberware, but it might give you what you want?

• littleraskol (Member)

Well, that looks like it provides for stat mods, which the editor has no trouble adding. Not sure if manually entering the proper fields and values in plain text and then compressing to bytes would allow for adding conditions, but it's worth trying.

• Utnapishtim

Utnapishtim (Member)

@ Littleraskol: I'm using Digitalpigeon's editor too (by the way many thanks to him, his tool has be very handy !). But in the end, I preffer editing each files in text format when I can, because bytes are ... well they where not meant to be modified anyway. If you have any difficulty to merge together .bytes from different UGC, let us know.

• Thaxor

Thaxor (Member)

Is this still compatible with 1.1? I just used it to export the items, modes and abilities and the format of the text files is different from those posted on the wiki (http://shadowrun-returns.wikispaces.com/Custom+Items).

Is the formating on the wiki just a result of someone's hard work (if so, bravo!)