SRO & Canon Usernames

• McDougle

McDougle (Face)

score: 5770

Hi Chumz,

If this topic was discussed before I simply wasn't able to find it (and would appreciate a link to said topic :) ).

How do you feel about SRO players using famous canon names for their ingame runners?

I know some of you are burning to do so... but how do the others feel about possibly having several Harlequins, Lofwyrs & co. hanging around in the hubs?

I'm a bit torn... on the one hand everyone should be able to play the game how they want to... on the other hand I wouldn't be opposed to a list of canon-names reserved for CHP & Catalyst officials to use in those promised special events.

• Lurker37

Lurker37 (Member)

score: 0

I thought some of those canon names were going to be used by VIPs on the "Meet a Legend" runs:

MEET A LEGEND (NEW) - A series of events. Famous PnP personalities controlled by Shadowrun luminaries, writers and artists will appear live in a VIP club >to chat and do some runs with you in SRO! Tom Dowd, Jason Hardy, Ron Heintz, Bull, Aaron Pavao, AAS, Klaus Scherwinski, Russel Zimmermann, Rat to run >the Shadows with you! We will schedule those events ahead of time of course and you will get a chance to slot and run with actual living street legends! >How awesome is that?

That being the case, we really need to make sure players can't reserve the names first. Would kinda take the shine off to be running with Tom Dowd as 'xXFastjackXx'.

Because of this, I don't think letting players use the name is even an option unless multiple characters can have the same name. Better to leave the door open for future events where devs and guests can play canon characters in special events.

• Wreck

Wreck (Member)

While I've always understood people's love of canon homage, I've also always felt that wanting to run those canon personalities is limiting. I'd rather build a similar runner, but make it wholly my own.

I say lock down the canon personalities. Players can make their own "versions" but not full-blown cookie-cutter carbon-copies with modified names.

• SpiderWord

SpiderWord (Member)

score: 236

I really hope that we will see nothing like that, I know I am living on an illusion :P A name policy is a dream always wanted rarely obteind but who knows maybe the Devs will surprise us.

• ToggBott

ToggBott (Member)

This may be kinda snobbish on my part. But in a world where wageslaves and even Mr. Johnsons could be processed from a stamping machine , I tend to look down on people who lay claim to famous names. not because they are bad players.. but because they are unoriginal .

• RC

RC (Administrator)

score: 78

Hoi Chummers!

I always viewed it as a matter of practicality in-game. The more posers/fans using a famous runners name, the more paths a potential threat will have to track down to find the original. Of course, if a poser gets too big for their britches, or besmirtches a good rep, a prime runnner may hunt them down themself. ^_^

Now, out of game, there should be a way for players to be able to identify who the real deal is. ;)

Ja Mata!

-RC

• Tubbster

Tubbster (Face)

score: 341

Great deeds create great names, not vice versa :).

• Gremlin

Gremlin (Member)

score: 61

With all due respect, I would leave these people in, and let them reserve their "DunkelzahnXXX" names.

I mean, in fact, I would even go a step further.

Allow them to make up any name they want, and that has not yet been taken.

Why? I mean, think about the canon universe. Now, think about it as RL. When lowfyr would show up in jackpoint, and would discover that there is already a user named Lowfyr, what would he do?

That is what it hinges on.

If you just go out, and go, allright, lowfyr XXX is not a valif nickname, you would take away from some of the freedom. However, if you would allow the free taking of names, and see how many of them actually show up in reference to famous characters, what then?

Hell, I mean, meeting harlequin with barely 100 XP earned would be a joy. You would know that he is a fake, he would know that he is a fake, heck, everybody would know that he is a fake.

I mean, the most in canon way of dealing with these would be when problems arise. Like, lets say Dunkelzahns presidential campaign is at its peak, and you see runners popping up left and right, all with the nametag "Dunkelzahn "

Would big D really be mad? Would he be honored? hell, most likely, he would deal with them in a way that would scream dunkelzahn. Special event by a mod playing dunkelzahn, where secret service NPC's storm his hideout, knock him down, he wakes up in a strange room, and a man in black explains to him that "trying to impersonate the president" is a punishable offense, but since he is already here, he has two choices. Either, stick to his name, walk through that door, face the firing squad, and permadeath. Or, he could be willing to run a sort of event for the pres, where he steps up as the president of the US, you know, just to feel what it is like to actually step into his shoes. Complete with a MOD typing up messages teleprompter style, an other mod displaying suspicious behavior in the surroundings, making it look like someone is planning an attack....

You know, just make sure that the player gets a warning first that by agreeing to a canon name, the player agrees to participate in official events, which may offer significant advantages / disadvantages, read, extra gifts from the mods for good roleplay / permadeath and a replacement char with a percentage of the old characters XP...

Because it is one thing to just be there, doing nothing, and getting punished for it. It is an entirely different system of being actually forced to either lay off the name, or walk a mile in these characters shoes.

Plus, when the dritzzit do urden wannabees show up to fullfill their claim to fame by copying Harlequin, and discover that harlequin has a "fan appreciation day", where once per year, he sends every wannabe who has impersonated him milk and cookies and a handwritten message with detailled suggestions on what they should work next, (If I were you, I would bet a tummy tuck, because honestly, I am not that fat, and Damn, wash that hair from time to time, it looks like a birdsnest...), and makes sure that everybody around them knows..... Now, that would surely get you really decent press really fast.

Plus, I would like to see how many fakers who claim to be a mod playing harlequin would react when a mod (playing the official harlequin) shows up, smiles, pats them on the back, goes, "I am about to leave you alone, but so you don't give me a bad name, your breath stinks, here are some breathmints", hands them some peppermints, and then disappears into thin air.

TL;DR: "Punish" people choosing the names of famous canon characters by forcing their players to walk a mile in their shoes. Option one, they change their name, making the problem disappear, option two, they quit the game, option three, they hold player created events, acting as bodydoubles for a day, thus doing a favor for the canon character they double, which can result in special rewards for good roleplaying, and increased community activity. Plus, most likely, that would be how I imagine several of the canon good guys would deal with imposters. Just show up, do some Bill Murray Stuff, and then disappear, leaving them dazzled in their wake.

• schelos

schelos (Member)

@Gremlin

Nicely put. Interesting ideas. (if you ever bite the dust, can I have your brain sent to me in a jar for special studies?)

Somewhat hard to code, as far as I can imagine the game's engine, but interesting stuff.

Another possibility for such an "event" would be rather petty, but somewhat easier to code: every player receives a note from ... I don't know, maybe Harlequin? ... along with a box of about a dozen grenades. The note states that they need to "hunt down" impersonators with those grenades. And it turns out that the grenades are actually stinkbombs that will make nearby NPCs (even hirelings during missions) pop up messages about how the character smells.

(this would mean no mechanics-wise punishment, just fluff, and also no "favoritism" for special missions)

And maybe one impersonator would be able to get rid of his own bad smell if he tags another impersonator with it, using one of the bombs.

And maybe one of the impersonators is actually Harlequin himself, and he might make you hit YOURSELF with such a bomb for failing to recognize the real deal over a fake.

I know, I know, not nearly as interesting as Gremlin's stuff. As I said, easier to code, is all.

• Wreck

Wreck (Member)

@Gremiln, that sounds like a lot of work which will really only affect a few people. If you want to let them have their canonX name fine, but I still say don't let them have the actual canon name. If they gain notoriety/fame fine. But I'd rather let the mods and devs work on making the game for the majority of us.

• McDougle

McDougle (Face)

Those ideas are so out of range... and to present them with unique RP opportunities and gifts just because they chose a canon name (instead of making their own)... I can´t say I like those ideas, Grem.

And the idea behind all that... is to "punish" them? One the one hand nobody should be punished for playing a game he possibly payed for... on the other hand it´d be on a player to player basis if they felt it was punishment or praise.

• Sangius

Sangius (Administrator)

score: 52

I am afraid, too, that in a perfect world, that sounds like a good idea - but keeping in mind that development time is on a tight budget, setting extra time aside to create special content for people with certain names, would seem a bit unreasonable to me (it is similar to how I might handle things as a IRL GM, though)

• Michael Chandra

Michael Chandra (Moderator)

score: 152

Let account names being unique, reserve a bunch of them in advance, let runner handles be non-unique but with a restricted list.

• SpiderWord

SpiderWord (Member)

Quote from Michael Chandra:

Let account names being unique, reserve a bunch of them in advance, let runner handles be non-unique but with a restricted list.

This makes sense.

• Gremlin

Gremlin (Member)

Ok, to say where I got it from:

UO. No direct forbidding of griefers, but letting them feel the consequences of being hpounded by an entire town.

I wanted to suggest the same here. Not say, you can't use that, because this name is too close to a canon name. because honestly, that is a pissing contest where you pit your ability to write filters against the publics ability to come up with new and obscene/canon names.

Now, since it is impossible (I am willing to defend my thesis) to mwroite a system that would detect all canon reference material, and would forbid players from using it, You need an other approach.

My approach would depend heavily on the mods.

Let's say that you have a player that is hav9ing a canon char inspired name, and a decent handle, but doesn't act up. Resolution? Oh, none is neccesary.

Player with a canon name, that sprouts stuff that is extremely against canon? light reminder to either change their topics, change their names, or with a probability be entered into an event as an unwilling target.

Player with a canon name that tries to impersonate a mod? can be persecuted under the "impersonation of a mod" offense, which can result in account deletion.

Now, there is allways the fine line that you have a char who roleplays a canon char, and he does it well, or just slightly off. in 90 % of the cases, you can ignore him, like when he plays a canon character as using ares hardware when this casnon character would never have ares hardware.

So, what do?

My best guess would have been to treat it with humor. After all, you are in a living breathing universe with enough people who know about their NPC-fame, and know that possibly a lot of people qaround the world copy them.

my attempt at resolve would have been to use the most minimalist means ever. Like, an email. So, when harlequin666 goes to check his mail, have a mail fromn the real dev account harlequin in there, that tells him, dude, don't try to be such a massive douche,. love, Harlequin, your lord and idol (also, sexiest elf alive).

imagine the face of the player who gets this mail in his account. And heck, all it takes is a Mod who can roleplay a bit, and who can write.

Now, an other option would be to have predetermined triggers with characters who use the same street name. So, harlequin of co0urse uses harlequin. But, if a player registers the street nick, harlequin, then you could insert some jokes aka hackers. "What, you are harlequin? Dude, I allways thought you were a transsexual werewolf midget from russia. Dude, I allways imagines you were taller / thinner/ect. " Heck, have one player get a few looks into the other character with the same names life, and then give them a special mission, chasing down the double.

Also, have people come up to them, and offer friendly suggestions. prime example would have been the Larry laffer in the land of the Lounge Lizzards game, where you get reminded every 5 minutes that your breath stinks. Small script, but huge effect.

Ingame, I would treat having a famous streetname the same as having a temporal handicap. People may treat you slightly better / worse, but it will have consequences. Do honor to the name, and you can get a rare autographed foil card by harlequin. Do it dishonour, and you may have some special events triggered for you, to give the Mods and GM's a bit of stress relief.

The core of the idea is that every rule you implement takes away a bit of freedom. However, in game, sure, you can kill a watchman, but be prepared to face the consequences. And if the entire game centers around the idea of you becoming the coolest / most sucessfull runner in the bizz, just publically reminding the char now and then that he is but a copycat of someone famous is more then enough to discourage the player.

Plus, just as an idea, treat it as a 5 % shift in the game. you gain 10 % less reputation, because it is publically known that runner X has copycats, but at the same time, you get a 5 % bonus that you can apply when rolling charisma. let's say, roll charisma to make that gun 5 % cheaper, just by mentioning that you are harlequin.

If that is not enouzgh, I believe we have canon examples of what happens when people abuse good names:

"For a period of ten days beginning on 14 February 2057, Lars J. Matthews will cease to possess any legal status. He will be stripped of all evidence of legal existence, including SIN, credsticks, DocWagon contract, bank accounts and so on. To the individual or group who ends Lars J. Matthews’ physical existence during those ten days, I leave all of Matthews’ assets and 1 million nuyen for a job well done. If Mr. Matthews survives and can prove his identity, his legal status and all possessions will be restored to him. Haven’t you heard? Never deal with a dragon, Lars."

• McDougle

McDougle (Face)

The mods will have plenty to do when 6k+ runners invade boston... even more after the public release (don't forget the big incentive of F2P to new & young players)- writing a special letter for all those canon characters ( you know there are dozens of 'em)? That is neither "easy" nor does it require "little" time.

On another hand those UO actions would be so rewarding, that we'd get armies of LofwyrXY on the server.

I like the idea of unique usernames/IDs and non-unique (canon forbidden) Streetnames. It would be a shame to reserve typical runner names like "Blaze", "Smith", "Dante", "Frost" etc. to only one runner. It'd probably work to be able to see a characters players username or ID in the chars public profile.

• Michael Chandra

It takes an awful lot of effort for so little benefit, so trying to play into this seems like a bad idea to me. Instead either disallowing certain names or just let people go ahead and get duplicate 'bad-ass' names. Just keep in mind that if you name yourself FastJack, I'm going to laugh and tell you you'd better live up to that name and not mess up.

• Gremlin

Gremlin (Member)

Assume a standart distribution.

Assume that you have two syllables, one if they are old, three if they are fresher. After all, you are kind of expected to make it short and snappy. Include german, which has some of the longest letter combinations of any language, you can count up to 7 letters per syllable, leading to 24 letters in total. (yes, I know, using extreme and unusual german, you can have up to 10 letters per syllable, but you want something you can pronounce. )

so, we have 10, 20 or 30 letters. wich including special characters can lead to some pretty nice combinations, assuming 26 letters per letterspace, up to 10 letterspaces per syllable, up to three syllables per runner name, this means that we can go up to (26 ^ 30) letters.

Would take me a while to blast through that to meet a similarly named character, yet I shomehow believe shadowrunners would have no problem...

• Michael Chandra

There's no such thing as a standard distribution when it comes to desired usernames, really.

• SpiderWord

SpiderWord (Member)

It takes an awful lot of effort for so little benefit, so trying to play into this seems like a bad idea to me. Instead either disallowing certain names or just let people go ahead and get duplicate 'bad-ass' names. Just keep in mind that if you name yourself FastJack, I'm going to laugh and tell you you'd better live up to that name and not mess up.

What about Riser than?

• Michael Chandra

So, what about that betrayal option during runs, eh? I got a headshot to deliver.

• Stygia

Stygia (Member)

how about anyone with a canon rip off name has their pvp flag perma enabled against others with the handle? that way all the fastjacks would be constantly jackin each other in the hub? kind of a survival of the fittest, at least it would be fun to watch lol

• Carabas

Carabas (Member)

Quote from McDougle:

I like the idea of unique usernames/IDs and non-unique (canon forbidden) Streetnames. It would be a shame to reserve typical runner names like "Blaze", "Smith", "Dante", "Frost" etc. to only one runner. It'd probably work to be able to see a characters players username or ID in the chars public profile.

Taking that a step further I propose the unique combination of first last and street names. For display wise if possible I'd prefer to just have street names over their heads and when selected or in party I have their entire name.
    No runner worth a drek is going to give you his real name and then say "but they call me Hunter." They're called Mr. Johnsons for a bloody reason. The more Twists and Blades out there the anonymous the handle. If you want to roleplay some prejudice, sure. "I never met a man named Twist I could trust." Totally works for someone using the streetname Dunkelzahn, seriously, who wants to "run in the shadows" with the bloody pres, or someone who thinks he is?

• Balfuset790

Balfuset790 (Member)

Quote from Carabas:

Quote from McDougle:

Taking that a step further I propose the unique combination of first last and street names. For display wise if possible I'd prefer to just have street names over their heads and when selected or in party I have their entire name.
    No runner worth a drek is going to give you his real name and then say "but they call me Hunter." They're called Mr. Johnsons for a bloody reason. The more Twists and Blades out there the anonymous the handle. If you want to roleplay some prejudice, sure. "I never met a man named Twist I could trust." Totally works for someone using the streetname Dunkelzahn, seriously, who wants to "run in the shadows" with the bloody pres, or someone who thinks he is?

Agreed, the idea of having three separate name fields for first name, last name and street name makes sense, it's what everyone (at least that I've played with) tends to put on their character sheet in PnP anyway, and I'm sure each runner has a few friends or contacts who know his/her real name and refer to her by it in private. That way there's more room for uniqueness whilst allowing shared handles (which is going to happen, and leads to interesting situations of one person's rep rubbing off on you).

To remain at least slightly on topic, the realm of canonical handles is a tricky one, as it depends on the handle itself. For example, take a couple of Jackpointers, in this case I'm going to use Netcat and Clockwork. Both of those names I can see being used by numerous runners across the world. Any hacker with a thing for cats may pick up the handle Netcat, alongside other potentials like 'Trixkitty, or whatever... similarly numerous runners might want to use the handle 'Clockwork' (a driver who's always on time, even when you haven't called him, a steampunk themeed rigger/mechanic, etc). At the end of the day there's usually a story behind a 'runner's handle that makes it appropriate.

Also worth considering is that not everyone who will be joining SRO will necessarily have any knowledge of the canon characters and so might feel frustrated when they try names like Harlequin (Which is one I can see a few people wanting, just because it's a cool name) and get told for seemingly no good reason that they can't have it. As long as there's a way of differentiating other players from NPCs with similar, or the same, names I don't think it should be too much of an issue, personally.

• SpiderWord

SpiderWord (Member)

So, what about that betrayal option during runs, eh? I got a headshot to deliver.

And this is cause I just mentioned Riser. Bad Chandra, baaad.

• Michael Chandra

Sybil me confused.

• Lurker37

Lurker37 (Member)

The flipside of this is that a Shadowrunner gets hired based on their rep. If a Mr Johnson was hiring a runner and found they were trying to use another well-known runner's name, I can't imagine that being a positive for the interview.

• Crunch

Crunch (Face)

score: 55

My personal opinion would be to lock out the specific in-canon names, but not disallow variations. I actually made an issue of that as a 'social faux-pas' in my new tabletop game (a contact pointed out they weren't the real 'X' and they should change their name before they try to build a rep). From the technical side, I could see locking them out would be as much for copyright protection as anything else, really.

However, I'm on the fence about it from a personal point of view. Someone using an in-canon name tends to ascribe that individual to a lack of creativity. On the other hand, in the case of this being an older, more niche, IP it may be used to imply a knowledge of the world/genre that may be missed by those 'not-in-the-know'. Going by "Joshua", "Dirk Montgomery", or even... "Damien Knight" ;) in this case may be less of 'stealing an IP' rather than saying 'I KNOW the IP'. This is, of course, conditional that these individuals never show their faces in-game, or are referenced (again, about defending the IP at the end of the day).

I still likely would skip over a xXNameYourAnime/PopcultureReferenceXx for teams, but would probably have no problem with "Silver-Angel" for example, and might even ask if they're aware of the significance of their name. Surprise, surprise, they may actually not be.

There's a fine line between "stealing an identity" and "imitation being the most sincere form of flattery" in my book.

Oh, and well done pun-names are good too. (I said WELL DONE!)

Crunch~

• McDougle

McDougle (Face)

I wonder if I'll ever run with SlowJack, CockWork, FatCat, DunkelPlan, Fan-O!, Damien Fright and co. ...

• Tubbster

Tubbster (Face)

score: 341

Let's create a Streetname-Bingo-Sheet! :).

• McDougle

McDougle (Face)

Just found out my GM and I both have Deckers/Riggers called "Blank". :))

• Russvik

Russvik (Member)

my first mmo was meridian 59... and since than in every mmo i played i saw so many uncreative people that uses names like Mushr00m, xXAlfXx, 3ta or THCxShadow. I think names are really important in mmo's and yeah mostly i think everyone should have the ability to make his own cool name(and mostly they dont have a cool name), BUT... i still hate to see ppl taking Canon Names and i would love to see a mmo with some better namepolicy restrictions since i really dont want to meet a Player which called himself Dodger, Argent or Dunkelzahn.

So i would like to see like it was allready explained to have the chance to use a "Firstname" "Surename" and "Runnername" to better clarify every player... really... maybe i want to play with my RL brother and we want to play as brother. We allways would have to explain that we are brother since we only got a "Runnername".

So iam voting for having "Firstname" "Surename" "Runnername" as option to set. Even like that there wouldnt be a problem with multiple same Runnernames.

Btw... one example why i think SRO needs that, Samuel(Sam) Verner also known as Twist. Firstname Surename Runnername and i know there are alot more... so would be cool to see that. ;)

• Beard

Beard (Member)

Perks ( there are a bare few, but there here!) of having never to have played SR PnP. I just read up some lore and saw that Dwarfs exist in Poland and make quite a fair slice of the minority ( Runner ups right after Orks 8% and 11% respectably) So i named my Dwarf St.Sam "Broda" which basically translates to your's trully's username, as for other characters... I might make a Elf Decker named "Opifex" as homage to the Opifex in Anarchy Online, and Probably a Ork Rigger/Adept just to emphasize the 11%.

And I personally am In favor of what perfect world is doing, give players handles they use rather than Character names, it's silly to assume there's only one Bob Johnson an only one Troll fist Adept named "Poundcake" or a orc Rigger with a Shotgun named "Leadstorm"

Give people Handles and they can be named whatever they want, as RC said ti builds tension around what will the originals do to the copycats.

• Dyluck

Dyluck (Member)

score: 5

Lots can be said in a name. Sometimes different people can overlap the same name with completely different backgrounds. Even the name I use has two major histories not linked in any way.

• schelos

schelos (Member)

Quote from McDougle:

I wonder if I'll ever run with SlowJack, CockWork, FatCat, DunkelPlan, Fan-O!, Damien Fright and co. ...

Must ... resist ... temptation ... do not create toons with those names or similar ones ... must resist ...

@Beard Agreed. Handles solve the whole equation rather nicely and with style.

• AlMcFly

AlMcFly (Member)

Honestly in big enough cities, one can imagine a whole slew of runners trying to get jobs by pretending to be a certain "famous/infamous" runner. They are playing a dangerous game with the risk of the original owner of the name hearing about it. I can also imagine a ton of runners creating fan clubs and using the name in homage. As long as they get the job done efficiently, I don't think the Johnsons or Fixers even care who you are. If they stink up the place repeatedly, everyone will know it. Besides, the Fixers who really matter already know who the original runners are. If they are dumb enough to believe the pretender, that is their problem.

• primetide

primetide (CHP Dev)

score: 157

While we are not entirely clear on the name policy (as people usually tend to go by their street name, why bother with the other names and would that make the whole name long and unlikely to ever be used in chat etc.), blocking any canon names is going to be hard for the same reason foul language is going to be hard to block. People always come up with ways to get around that and we end up trying to block every combination of Fast and jack and FastEddy and Springheeled Jack get very frustrated. Lets put it this way: We know NONE of the FastJacks will ever be the real one (unless we make him so and leverage our connection to Catalyst), so no harm done. For sake of clarity inn chats it usually pays to not allow the exact same name twice, though.

• McDougle

McDougle (Face)

So HarleyQuinn, Dodger, Dunkelzahn etc. will be taken on day 1. :D

• Crunch

Crunch (Face)

F_R_A_G_Y_O_U_L_O_L

Just kidding, but yeah I get that. ;)

I just hope I get to keep my way too simple name just for ID purposes in-game, but if not, I guess he's supposed to be retired by the 2070's anyway. 8-|

Crunch~

• Michael Chandra

I really would prefer some overlapping of handles and adding an unique identifier, otherwise we get the war for handles.

• Digital_Samurai

Digital_Samurai (Member)

Definitely an all-nighter at launch then... must have 3 names!

Digital Samurai

• schelos

schelos (Member)

I really would prefer some overlapping of handles and adding an unique identifier, otherwise we get the war for handles.

THIS definetly solves about 99% of the problem.

Examples: Dunkelzahn@deviousdude versus Dunkelzahn@thecopycat, Fastjack@nobrainer or Fastjack@nocodingformylife, Dodger@bullets and not Dodger@dodgeball.

• AlMcFly

AlMcFly (Member)

Quote from Digital_Samurai:

Definitely an all-nighter at launch then... must have 3 names!

Digital Samurai

This being such a cult/niche game, I honestly don't think you will need to fight for a name unless it is something iconic. Almost everyone that even knows about SR:O is here at the forums and the community is so small that if somebody stole Digital Samurai from you, it was probably in spite of you XD

• Wizard_of_Odd (Member)

Seriously, kids. Reserving names and having exclusive names is silly and completely unnecessary.

None of Cryptics games use exclusive character names anymore. You're identified by user handle, which is much better as it allows you to track the reputation of a player across the community even if they do stupid stuff and then delete the alt. Let's you know right off who you're dealing with.

Further, there's already a punishment for people named after famous characters in most games: people will laugh at you for being an unimaginative fake, and none of the RP crowd will give you the time of day. The folks needlessly hurt by name exclusivity are those that have appropriate genre names (one to two syllables and sounds cool, that you can remember and say quickly)...most of which will be unavailable in short order because character names are exclusive, and may even be reserved by making a "name holder" alt that you aren't actually playing.

• Lurker37

Lurker37 (Member)

I agree that exclusive names would be a drawback. I don't want to have to worry about someone reserving a name I want to use with an alt, and I never, ever want to see a name like xxX_digit@l_crs@d3r_Xxx_123.

• Michael Chandra

My SRR streetsam was named Shade. I'm convinced that name will require more protecting than my username here. I can't even remember if Shade is active here and not just on the SRT site.

• Wizard_of_Odd (Member)

Indeed. Exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. Shade, Fade, Apex, Arbor, etc. all fit a naming pattern for SR and cyberpunk, and frankly are street names that should occasionally see reuse. We're not talking about superhero names...what happens when a guy from Brooklyn into classic era baseball wants to be called Dodger anyway? And doesn't having more than one "Shade" or "Case" or whatever make establishing your personal rep that much more important, even as it deepens your anonymity to those you'd like to be none the wiser? Don't you want Lonestar to have to go through a stack of the wrong files every time they get your street name right? That "Fade" could be the Carrib League gun fighter or the Pueblo Neo-Anarchist Rockerboy. Or that Ork smuggler from the Cascade Crow. Bet they chase the Ork. It is Lonestar. ^_^

• Crunch

Crunch (Face)

And now that I have time for a more thoughtful reply (and a few draft saves throughout the day later)...

Quote from Lurker37:

I agree that exclusive names would be a drawback. I don't want to have to worry about someone reserving a name I want to use with an alt, and I never, ever want to see a name like xxX_digit@l_crs@d3r_Xxx_123.

Sadly, you'll probably see that anyway.

Though I do agree with attaching character name to a static, unique, global name to create perpetually unique combinations, or some similar method to keep the name-pool open. Eventually, and if we're all lucky, the population will be too large to support character specific unique names that would be worth taking, and designing around that possibility from the get-go is a good decision. At the very least it couldn't hurt.

The Secret World had a neat idea for naming conventions with your characters First and Last name with your Nickname being your handle. It falls short, however, as the only thing the game system cares about or registers is your Nickname; and everything's cross-server so a lot of the 'easier' names are already taken no matter what server you pick. If they tied it to all three, there'd be no limit to what combinations you could make, for example.

I'm still not a fan of players using in-canon names, but as @Primetime pointed out (good to see you're all still listening and posting, by the way!) trying to come up with a script just to block every variation would be difficult at best, and frankly another devourer of resources better spent on other things for the game anyway in my opinion, so I say let it fly... Just don't be surprised if I don't invite you to my team if your name is Dunkelolzahn...

Heh... Dunkelolzahn...

Quote from Wizard_of_Odd:

Indeed. Exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. Shade, Fade, Apex, Arbor, etc. all fit a naming pattern for SR and cyberpunk, and frankly are street names that should occasionally see reuse. We're not talking about superhero names...what happens when a guy from Brooklyn into classic era baseball wants to be called Dodger anyway? And doesn't having more than one "Shade" or "Case" or whatever make establishing your personal rep that much more important, even as it deepens your anonymity to those you'd like to be none the wiser? Don't you want Lonestar to have to go through a stack of the wrong files every time they get your street name right? That "Fade" could be the Carrib League gun fighter or the Pueblo Neo-Anarchist Rockerboy. Or that Ork smuggler from the Cascade Crow. Bet they chase the Ork. It is Lonestar. ^_^

This is actually a valid point in that favor, and in my game world why fake SIN's work (and degrade over time). Call the player's game-account name your "Shadow" name, known to your fixers and chummers, and your character's "Street" name that (presumably) is your 'front' name you give out.

I like the clandestine layers that implies, that gives the system a nice Shadowrun-like vibe.

Crunch~

• iofhua

iofhua (Member)

score: 3

If you disallow "Harlequin" someone is going to use "Harlequin1" or 'H4rlequin" or "H4r1equin" anyway. I say let people name their characters whatever they want.

I don't think it would be possible to have NPC's react differently to certain people with certain names. It sounds like way too much work for little to no benefit.

• Sangius

Sangius (Administrator)

score: 52

I just received word from Primetide: They'll have unique account names but duplicable street names. SWEET!

• Michael Chandra

Awesome. :)