Call for Help - Shadowrun Identity Project

• opifer

opifer (Member)

score: 0

Dear fellow shadowrunners and gamemasters, this is a general invitation to join our community-made 100+ hour Shadowrun Returns campaign project, Shadowrun Identity, using the official 1E and 2E sourcebooks and adventures to recreate the world of the 2050s, month by month, year by year. We have already received a great deal of encouragement and support from some of the original writers of the early Shadowrun materials, like Thumper, and the HBS staff, especially Brian and Robin. With your help, we can make this project a reality and add some top-shelf content to the SRR game.

Please check us out at: http://www.shadowrunidentity.org

Thanks to Loseriffic, you can see a Let's Play video of Life on a Limb, our first Shadowrun Identity Content Pack, on YouTube at:

To join, please reply to this post, PM me, or email opifer@gmail.com with your online handle/tag, email address, and which individual Shadowrun Identity mission appeals to you the most and/or what role (Project Lead, Map Designer, or Scripter) you would like to play.

For everyone not able or interested in contributing to the growth of our Shadowrun Identity campaign, we hope you enjoy playing it and please let us know when you find bugs so we can squash them!

• opifer

opifer (Member)

Shadowrun Identity Project Update #1: We're Doing This

Hoi Shadowrun Identity GM chummers!

Welcome to the project and here's introducing the team, all 66 of us and counting! This is the first Project Update (along the lines of the Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Updates you backers have been receiving) with four items on the agenda:

1) We are maintaining a master list of contact information for all our teammates. Please join our project to gain access to this list and contact your fellow GMs.

2) The Shadowrun Identity website is now more or less text-complete with write-ups for all 120 episodes, each one to be a User-Generated Content (UGC) content pack created by GMs like you. I can't do this alone so a sincere thank you for your help and please spread the word!

3) The Let's Play of Shadowrun Identity: Life on a Limb now has over 40,000 views and is the number one news item for Google searches on Shadowrun Returns. Hopefully this boosts sales and gets us more content from HBS. Loserific has also posted a third episode in which he kills me. If any of you (looking at you McDougle and Johnny Memphis) have Early Access, please do a Let's Play of Life on a Limb (Screen-Cast-O-Matic makes it easy). More exposure can only help Shadowrun Returns sales when it releases in two weeks' time!

4) Finally, I am putting the Sprawl Sites encounters into Life on a Limb one at a time (there's more than 130 of them). You are of course more than welcome to put them into your own creations as well if you like. But if you'd like to help me add them to Life on a Limb, please email me directly and I'll let you know which ones I have outstanding. You can write a branching conversation tree for the encounter and I'll put it in the game.

Thanks a million! That pretty much sums it up! Arigato and just a couple more weeks to go until release!

Ja mata!

• opifer

opifer (Member)

Shadowrun Identity Project Update #2: A Little Help from our Friends at HBS!

We're closing in on release day now with less than a week to go until Shadowrun Returns is a reality for us all. When the original Kickstarter was launched a year ago this seemed like such an impossibility and I'm so glad the team at HBS was able to make this happen! So, appropriately, for our second Identity project update, we're featuring an invitation from Brian at HBS, along with a few other agenda items:

1) Brian Poel, Producer, Metrics Analyst & Game Designer for Shadowrun Returns, reached out to us last week to say that "the Identity project is pretty amazing. Kudos to you for helping make that happen! I'm wondering if you would like to arrange for a web conference Q&A some time after launch -- try to gather all of your GMs together and we'll do a little web-cast conference call kind of thing and I can try to answer questions." So, this sounds like a great idea to me, and I hope you guys are all interested! Now all we have to do is a pick a date and a format. Maybe Saturday, August 10 or Sunday, Aug. 11? And would Skype be best for this kind of thing?

2) The Shadowrun Identity website now features a section for characters. I am including all joinable companion NPCs from Life on a Limb. They each have multiple, unique conversations and will eventually all have "finisher" quests for extra Karma and to cement your relationship with the NPC (at which point you can choose to let them hang out at home where it's safe so they are sure to survive to the next content pack or continue to accompany you and risk life and limb).

3) The Let's Play of Shadowrun Identity: Life on a Limb now has nearly 70,000 views and Loserific has released an Episode 6 in which he actually starts to slow down a little, pay attention and read the text!

4) Finally, I would like to stress that in addition to using the same pool of companion NPCs we can also duplicate each other's maps, building a virtual Seattle block by block, building interior by Stuffer Shack and Renraku lab interior, gang base by gang base. So long as you select other Shadowrun Identity content packs as dependencies, you will have access to all the same quest items and story variables you need to ensure that playing through the content packs, even out of order, jumping in and out of each with the same PC, still feels like a contiguous world and a continuous experience for players. That goes double for all the official maps that will be released with the Dead Man's Switch Campaign, giving us a core of the Seattle Metroplex on day 1!

Ja mata!

• Nick (Opifer)

• geeked

geeked (Member)

wow building a whole seattle! haha this is madness! yeh im in

• opifer

opifer (Member)

Wonderful news, Geeked! Welcome aboard. I'll PM you with an invite. :)

• hrsanchez (Member)

Hi Opifer,

I would also be interested in helping out!

• opifer

opifer (Member)

Excellent. I'll be in touch!

• Tubbster

Tubbster (Face)

score: 341

That leads me to my Shadowrun Identity module "Bottled Demon". I'm looking for a mapbuilder, who is skilled in transfering a dark athmosphere, with using lights only to create shadows ;-). PM me!

• Cutter

Cutter (Member)

score: 3

I'd be interested in this Op, but I'll have to get my hands on the game and editor first before commuting.

• opifer

opifer (Member)

Sweet. I'll be in touch, Cutter.

In other news, Jordan calls us crazy . . . but in a good way:

Jordan Weisman: We have already seen our Early Editor Access Backers . . . recreating every book ever published in the Shadowrun line – which is a project so ambitious that the mere thought of it awes me. Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/shadowrun-returns-interview-story-length-crafting-entire-campaigns-and-developing-for-tablets#icaOlFGldEso4F65.99

• geeked

geeked (Member)

nice article good promo stuff

• Murphy01

Murphy01 (Member)

Hey Opifer, I'm a longtime SR GM and am interested in this project, cause it just so happens I'm running my VT 3rd edition group through 2054 and the old adventures. They just finished the first half of DNA DOA. Also I've read practically all of the novels and use to build/do GM runs on a SR3 MUD so I know how to link things together. Granted I'll need another 48 hours to get my hands on the game and editor but I'd be down for joining the team if you want me.

• opifer

opifer (Member)

Oh wow, that's awesome! The more knowledgeable the GM, the more authentic to the canon our Identity project will be. Expect a PM shortly! Cheers!

• Murphy01

Murphy01 (Member)

Sent you a text file with my first sketches of how silver angel should work. I'll know more when the game launches

• Balerien (Member)

I just joined the crew and they seem pretty awesome so far. We are building something huge here!

• clynton1 (Member)

hey opifer, lot of winey sorts on steam re no manual save..... does the editor give the posibility of placing say a 'terminal' ..... interaction/event/trigger....... to que a save in a given scene... if that makes sense???

im guessing the save at scene transition could be qued to such a thing.... Y/N???

Dont get me wrong i have no prob with the save system as is its .....

Just might kill the moaning minnies....

• clynton1 (Member)

hey opifer got an answer about this from Mcdougle no need to reply ta ;)

• opifer

opifer (Member)

Yeah, it's an expensive, time-consuming, developer side issue for HBS to resolve when they have the time and money. Hopefully it sells well and they get the nuyen they need to upgrade our 'ware! ;)

• zanzo420 (Member)

Hello Opifer, not sure if I can help but I would sure love to. I am an all around developer, I mainly like to code, but every now and then modelling, graphics, or web design are a nice break from the norm... I know a few programming languages, been using photoshop/dreamweaver/flash for over 13yrs (most of this stuff since its beta or original releases)... I could see myself as a mapper or a scripter for one of these projects, I would love to be lead on something smaller maybe as I have not read the books, just been a die hard fan of the whole shadowrun universe since I played Shadowrun for SEGA genesis back in the 90's. Let me know if I might be someone you'd like to have on the team.

• Scholar (Member)

Question:

Are the PCs that run through this project going to be continuous from story to story? In other words, if I make a character for Life on a Limb, will I be using that same character for "Into the Shadows" or "Sprawl Law"? I read that each team has the ability to do that, but what I'm asking is if doing so will be common, or will you basically have to make a new character every single story?

• opifer

opifer (Member)

@Zanzo Awesome news, man. I have just the module for you (it's a good one - especially having played some of Dead Man's Switch).

@Scholar Most of the Identity GMs are allowing you to use the same player character in each episode. We are also developing a shared pool of NPCs called Cast of Shadows. In certain content packs (such as some of the ones based on novels) you will play the protagonist as the default character. Finally, making a new character is an option if your current PC has out-levelled the content and you want a challenge. Or just fighting the King in Life on a Limb. It's not unwinnable but sometimes it feels that way. Optional boss battle at any rate ...

• Expalphalog

Expalphalog (Member)

Just wanted to thank you for doing this, Opifer.

I ran a semi-casual 2e campaign that lasted for eight years - by the end the PCs were all horribly OP but we still had a blast. Anywho, just wanted to let you that this project of yours has upgraded this game from a 'looks cool' to a 'must buy' in my book.

Keep up the good work! In the meantime, I'll just sit here patiently awaiting news on Dreamchipper, Imago, or Bottled Demon (my personal favorite modules)

• opifer

opifer (Member)

Shadowrun Identity Project Update #3: Call to Action!

Hope you're having fun with the game! Your creativity and enthusiasm are essential to the development of our community-made campaign and I want to thank you for playing the game, familiarizing yourselves with the editor, and brainstorming on our Google+ Hangouts and on the forums. I can't wait to see what you are able to do with the editor. I'm sure much of what you produce will eventually rival or exceed what we are playing in Dead Man's Switch. Sharing recurring NPCs and maps with you all will be incredibly fun as we bring the Sixth World to life on our computers! A few items on today's agenda:

Brian Poel, Executive Producer with HBS, is stoked that we have assembled such an international team of dedicated and knowledgeable GMs. He is asking for RSVP signups for the following two webconference slots to get all your burning questions about the editor answered so we can focus on producing amazing content. RSVP by email to me (opifer@gmail.com) and Brian (brian@hbs-studios.com) [be sure to cc us both] to sign up for one or both of the following times:

1. Time Slot A) Saturday, August 24 at 9:00am (Seattle time). This is 6:00pm in Berlin (Sat, 24th) and 2:00am in Sydney (Sun, 25th).

and/or

1. Time Slot B) Saturday, August 24 at 9:00pm (Seattle time). This is 6:00am in Berlin (Sun, 25th) and 2:00pm (Sun, 25th) in Sydney.

After you sign up, Brian will announce the format (software) for the web-conference.

We are now up to 75 GMs after some pre-release attrition and post-release interest from players around the world. To have full teams on each UGC project, we need 360 GMs. So please spread the word on the forums (Steam and Shadowrun.com) and the internet generally (Reddit, maybe?) about our Shadowrun Identity project. Give people the link to our website (www.shadowrunidentity.org) and encourage them to reach out to me at opifer@gmail.com for an official invite.

More to come as you guys produce content for everyone to experience!

Best wishes, Nick (Opifer)

• enderandrew

enderandrew (Member)

I think I might be interested in helping out with the project as a project lead or scripter for the next open module slot, but I want to take some to time to get familiar with the toolset for a while first. I'm going over tutorials and checking things out at the moment.

• opifer

opifer (Member)

Sounds good chummer! Just email me directly at opifer@gmail.com for the official invite. :)

• shadoe42 (Member)

I would love to get involved in this but time is a huge factor which i just don;t have a lot of right now. I even looked and Wolf and Raven is open. That I think presents some creation challenges by the nature of the story and its one of my favs....sigh

• CDAGeek

CDAGeek (Member)

I would love to get involved in this. I'm still getting my head wrapped around the editor - as I think most are at this point - but I would definitely be up for working on an available module either as project lead or scripter.

• opifer

opifer (Member)

I hear you. Just send me an email when you're ready to sign up! ;)

• kingschiebi

kingschiebi (Member)

To get accustomed with the editor, I started modeling some areas from Sprawl Sites (literally just started with the small/medium bank and body shop - no matrix areas, yet). If they turn out halfway decent, I will put them on the workshop as a resource content pack.

• opifer

opifer (Member)

Thanks, King. And please email me if you like our work on Identity and would like an official invite for the role of Map Designer.

• kingschiebi

kingschiebi (Member)

I will certainly do, thanks.

Since I am a total noob at legal stuff - how far into copyright issues are we allowed to move by adapting the old adventures into SR:R? With that I am talking about the description text, dialogue, characters, etc.

It would just be a shame to see a lot of work go into this and then some cease and desist note flying in at some later stage. If I missed some FAQ on this, please consider my head lowered in shame - hoping to get pointed at it.

• opifer

opifer (Member)

Hi King! Yeah, I should probably add this to the FAQ but we have the full support of HBS on this, including many of the original authors, and we can use all the published Shadowrun materials in our UGC. As Mitch said, that's kind of the whole point of Shadowrun Returns. Please email me at opifer@gmail.com for the invite.

• opifer

opifer (Member)

Okay, invite sent. Anyone else who wants to help please check us out at: www.shadowrunidentity.org

We are up to around 110 active GMs working on new UGC for you to play!

• arrjaytea

arrjaytea (Member)

Started working on maps for the Mercurial book today. Pumped. :)

• Balfuset790

Balfuset790 (Member)

Quote from Expalphalog:

Just wanted to thank you for doing this, Opifer.

I ran a semi-casual 2e campaign that lasted for eight years - by the end the PCs were all horribly OP but we still had a blast. Anywho, just wanted to let you that this project of yours has upgraded this game from a 'looks cool' to a 'must buy' in my book.

Keep up the good work! In the meantime, I'll just sit here patiently awaiting news on Dreamchipper, Imago, or Bottled Demon (my personal favorite modules)

On the subject of Imago, I can happily say that I (map designer for that part of the SR:I project) have just completed a rough draft of the first map I've worked on for the module. It's in no fit state to be viewed yet (in my opinion as a bit of a perfectionist) but if our project lead has no objections I might grab some screenshots of a few locales when they're done to a point I'm satisfied with to share with the community outside the project. :)

• SiegeRunner (Member)

Quote from arrjaytea:

Started working on maps for the Mercurial book today. Pumped. :)

Very cool. Today, I've started the draft work for Worlds Without End. :D

It's really an amazing feeling.

• opifer

opifer (Member)

Shadowrun Identity Project Update #4: A Leg Up From HBS

We received a nice write-up in HBS' latest Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter update. We are up to about 125 GMs (more joining us today) as part of our international, multicultural, inclusive team. I am extremely happy to work with you good folks from all over the world. Please let me know if your project needs new teammates and I'll try to give you priority.

I received a lot of critical feedback on Life on a Limb which I am busy addressing. This takes some time away from recruitment for the Identity project as a whole but I'm happy to see people working hard, collaborating well together, and using Google+ as a communications platform. A few items on today's agenda:

1. Once more, Brian Poel, Executive Producer with HBS, is stoked that we have assembled such an international team of dedicated and knowledgeable GMs. He is asking for RSVP signups for the following two webconference slots to get all your burning questions about the editor answered so we can focus on producing amazing content. RSVP by email to me (opifer@gmail.com) and Brian (brian@hbs-studios.com) [be sure to cc us both] to sign up for one or both of the following times:

Time Slot A) Saturday, August 24 at 9:00am (Seattle time). This is 6:00pm in Berlin (Sat, 24th) and 2:00am in Sydney (Sun, 25th).

and/or

Time Slot B) Saturday, August 24 at 9:00pm (Seattle time). This is 6:00am in Berlin (Sun, 25th) and 2:00pm (Sun, 25th) in Sydney.

After you sign up, Brian will announce the format (software) for the web-conference. NOTE: This is a special webinar for SR:I GMs in addition to the public seminar HBS just announced. We won the initiative and get ours first!

1. I am creating Google+ communities for each of your individual projects, following the examples of Tubbster and Axis Mundi, two very dedicated GMs on the Bottled Demon, Dark City and Bug City projects. You will get an invite from me once your project has more than one GM on it. I can only create so many per day so you may have to wait a few days for this. Please join Google+ and let me know if you still need an invite to our project-wide Shadowrun Identity (Private) community and/or any individual SR:I project community.

I look forward to featuring your individual projects as you upload videos to YouTube or alphas to Workshop!

Best wishes, Nick (Opifer)

• opifer

opifer (Member)

SR:I Project Update #5: Partnership with Shadowrun Wikia

This is a special update to announce our new partnership with the Shadowrun Wiki (http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page). Our good chummer Piotr Konieczny is hard at work populating the People of the 2050s page (http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Category:People_of_2050s) and could use your help. Please consider taking a few minutes from your work on your individual projects to list out the names and basic information about each of the major NPCs you are using.

This wiki will become an invaluable canon resource not only for us on the Shadowrun Identity project (so we can share recurring NPCs etc.) but also for Shadowrun players worldwide. As Bombardier666, our fellow Identity GM working on Renraku Arcology: Shutdown, says, our new partnership with the 'net's only Shadowrun Wiki is yet another reason to produce "top notch stuff."

Thanks a million and keep up the amazing work! And here's to the new blood that's brought us up to 140 GMs and climbing!

Cheers, Nick (Opifer)

• brunoazalim

brunoazalim (Member)

Hello! I recently got into the game and I'm very excited to start preparing some adventures/campaigns. Funny that before reading this i had this idea of re-creating the released adventures from the tabletop game. I'd tried to access the shadowrunidentity.org website to know something new about his , without success.. How's things going? Is there a possibility to get involved in one of this projects? I'm a electronic musician too, and could compose some themes for the game.

• geeked

geeked (Member)

check out "shadowrun identity (private)" on google communities - still a few active folks there working on stuff here and there - all kinda waiting to see the transition to DFDC at the moment

• Tubbster

Tubbster (Face)

score: 341

@brunoazalim Hoi! As soon, as Dragonfall DC and its new editor is out, I'm going back to the Mercurial adventure. The story chart, designed for Shadowrun Returns is ready. Most of the maps, too. What we need most to finish the adventure is a dialogue writer and a logic scripter. I would do the logic script (as soon as the new Editor is out), but dialogues should be presented by a native speaker, I think. If you would like to lend us a hand feel free to contact me via PM here :-D.

Greetinx

T.

• ChaosGerbil

ChaosGerbil (Member)

My UGC is set in Seattle area, spring 2057. Is there a convenient way to link it to the rest of the Identity project? I'm about half done. Most of the maps are finished or close to it, but I still need a lot of dialogue, more npcs and scripting.

• HangmansJoke78 (Member)

Well I do not have that much time... but I have already provided some help, right Geeked? :) I will contact you as soon as I have something new for you Chummer!

• geeked

geeked (Member)

thats right! cheers bud!

• Axis Mundi

Axis Mundi (Member)

score: 1

Shadowrun Identity is doing some reorganization and brainstorming coinciding with the Director's Cut release.

We'll be making an official announcement very soon on this forum: http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/categories/shadowrun-returns-news

We will be accepting active new members. Details will be in the announcement.

Stay tuned!

I am staying tuned since Life on a Limb and Never trust an Elf :P So yeah.. :)

Shadowrun Identity is in desperate need for fresh blood! If you scripters, programmers, mappers, etc are really interested, then feel free to contact Geeked for a proper invitation.

Life on a Limb needs to be completed, but without you people, it is not possible, since Opifer does not have the time any longer. An uncooked version of LoaL has been given to Geeked, and as I said, he needs help in order to finish it. Come on! Shadowrun Identity is waiting.

As for me, I will continue to test, and undertake another big hunt for bugs!

See you around.

• zigma9114 (Member)

have you tried in the steam community hangmans?

and try posting in UGC thread instead of level editor, there are some people who post call for help there